During the winter I love this super-simple recipe for porridge bread, which one of my yoga students shared with me a few years ago. It is very easy to make and it a quick & healthy breakfast with sliced banana and honey on top.
Makes 1 loaf
Prep time: 10 – 15 minutes
Baking time: 45 – 55 minutes
- 500ml natural yoghurt
- 1 egg
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 350g porridge oats
- ½ tsp salt
- Nuts or seeds of choice (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ gas mark 4. Grease a standard 900g loaf tin and line it with parchment paper. Place the yoghurt, egg, milk and bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl.
- Mix ingredients together until well combined.
- Add the porridge oats, salt, nuts, seeds or chocolate chips (if using).
- Stir until the mixture is well blended.
- Scrape the batter into the loaf tin. Cut a line down the centre of your loaf and sprinkle with some extra nuts or seeds on top, if you like.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave the bread to cool in the tin for about five minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
I like to slice my loaf up and put in the freezer so that it lasts longer and it makes a quick and easy breakfast or healthy snack with some honey on top.
Enjoy! Love Ax